Russian Kettlebell Quick Start Kit

Transform Yourself, One Swing at a Time

Wednesday, October 27

Sticking With A Program

Want something to work?

Want to see change in your performance, your appearance, how you feel?

Find a program and stick with it.  For a month.  It almost doesn't matter what it is, just stick to it.  Granted there are going to be a few times where you just can't fathom doing X, Y, and Z one more time, but it's short lived.  Do it anyway and suck it up, because you know you're only doing it for a month.

What happens at the end of the month?  You evaluate it.  You make a decision whether that program helped you in anyway.  If it got you closer to your goals, or you met them, congratulate yourself, then think about your next set of goals

It's important to measure, to test if what you are doing is making a positive impact.

One more thing.

It's critical that you do this.

Make your commitment PUBLIC.  Facebook it.  Tweet it.  Blog it.  Tell your cat.  Make sure people know that you are on a mission and you need their support.  It will be very hard for you to back out of your goal once that ball has been thrown.
 

An Example
November is going to be the month where I return to the kettlebell for my strength and conditioning training.

I'll be using Program Minimum From "Enter The Kettlebell".

I have two goals:
  • run a mile under 6 minutes.
  • deadlift 405lbs
This Halloween weekend I will be testing my deadlift and my mile time.  Times will be posted here.  If I make either goal, I will move onto my next set of goals:  Pressing the 2 pood (32kg kettlebell) and preparing for the 2011 racing season (i.e. Western States 100 depending on the December 4th Lottery).  Most likely, the first two goals will provide plenty to focus on.

A Thank-you
Special thanks to Dan John for writing his book "Never Let Go".  It's a book I will not be lending out anytime soon.  You really need to get a copy of it.  Read it.  Re-read.  This post is directly influenced by that book.

No comments:

Post a Comment